The Emergency Food Assistance Program
Donate Now

The Emergency Food Assistance Program

starving children, feed the children, hungry children, child hunger, hungry kids, care and share, food bank, food bank in colorado springs, food bank in Pueblo, donate to charity, tefap, the emergency food assistance program, commodities, food bank, find food, find food pantry

What is TEFAP?

TEFAP stands for The Emergency Food Assistance Program and is a federal program that provides people living on a low income with extra food each month at NO COST! Click here for more information.

How can I find out if I qualify for TEFAP? Good news! If you are a Colorado resident, you can automatically qualify for TEFAP if you are enrolled in any of the programs listed below:

  • Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP)
  • SNAP (Formerly Food Stamps)
  • Low-income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)
  • Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
  • Old Age Pension (OAP)
  • Aid to Needy Disabled (AND)
  • Aid to the Blind (AB)
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Medicaid Eligible Foster Children

You can also use this chart to see if you qualify:

TEFAP Income Eligibility

What foods can I expect to receive?
The USDA offers fresh produce, dairy, meat, and non-perishable food items through Care and Share Food Bank in select counties in our service area.

Have more questions? Below you'll find many of our frequently asked questions. If you can't find an answer, don't fret. We're here for you. Contact Us: or 719-528-1247

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How do I sign up?

If you qualify for this program (see requirements above), visit a site that participates in the program with your picture ID that shows you reside in Colorado. If you don’t have a picture ID, you can bring a piece of mail, a rental agreement, or anything that shows your name and address at your current location.

You then confirm with the TEFAP site manager that you qualify (you don’t need to provide documentation to prove this) and complete a simple sign-in sheet to receive your food box.

Q. Where is the TEFAP distribution site nearest me?

There are a lot of TEFAP distribution sites in Southern Colorado. You can check out this map or see the locations listed by clicking on the orange buttons above.  


Q. What do I need to bring with me to sign up?

Bring a picture ID that shows you reside in Colorado. If you don’t have a picture ID, you can bring a piece of mail, a rental agreement, or anything that shows your name and the address of your current location.

Q. Can somebody pick up my TEFAP food for me?

Yes! If you are homebound and unable to pick up your TEFAP distribution in person, you can designate someone else, a proxy, to pick up your commodities for you. Your proxy gives the form to the TEFAP site manager and must bring your picture ID. The Proxy Form is valid for one year. Click here to download proxy form. Spanish Version

Q. How often can I pick up my TEFAP food?

You can pick up TEFAP food once a month. If you need more food assistance, you can also visit food pantries near you. Click here to find one.

Q. Can I participate in TEFAP and CSFP (Senior Commodities) at the same time?

Yes! If you are a qualifying senior 60 years of age or older and have completed an approved CSFP application.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.