Commodity Supplemental Food Program

What is CSFP?

CSFP stands for Commodity Supplemental Food Program.

It’s a federal program that provides seniors living on a low income, ages 60 and up, with extra food each month, and at no cost. At Care and Share, we also like to refer to this program as the “Senior Food Boxes.” We distribute the food boxes directly to the partners we work with, like soup kitchens and local food pantries, and then they’re able to get it to neighbors who need it.

How to know if you qualify

If you have a combined gross income that doesn't exceed the maximum income limit for the applicable household sizes listed below, you qualify! 

2021 Income Eligibility Guidelines
Household Size Household Monthly Income Household Annual Income
1 $1,396 $16,744
2 $1,888 $22,646
3 $2,379 $28,548
4 $2,871 $34,450
5 $3,363 $40,352
6 $3,855 $46,254
For each additional family member, add: $492 $5,902

What comes inside a CSFP food box

El Paso County CSFP

Find a CSFP site near you

southern colorado CSFP

Find a CSFP site near you

Common questions

Have more questions? Here, you'll find many of our frequently asked questions. If you can't find the answer, don't fret. We're here for you. Contact a member on our programs team at or at 719.528.1247.

If you qualify for this program (see income guidelines above), visit a site that participates in the program with your picture ID and proof of age. If you don’t have a picture ID, you can bring a piece of mail, a rental agreement, or anything that shows your name and address at your current location. You will not need to bring proof of income documents.

There are a lot of CSFP distribution sites in Southern Colorado. Please click the green buttons above to see a list of locations.

Proof of residency—Drivers’ license, rental agreement, utility bill, etc.

Proof of your age (60 or older)—Drivers’ license, birth certificate or passport.

You will not need to bring proof of income documents. 

To continue receiving your monthly food box, you just need to pick up your box regularly. If you don’t pick up your box for three months in a row, you may be removed from the program. Every year, your CSFP site manager will ask you to recertify for CSFP. By completing the recertification form they provide, you are notifying Care and Share that you would like to continue to receive CSFP benefits and that your financial situation has not significantly changed.

Yes, if you are homebound and unable to pick up your CSFP box yourself, you may designate a proxy to pick up your CSFP box for you. A completed Proxy Form must be submitted to the site manager and your proxy must bring your picture ID with them to the distribution. The Proxy Form is valid for one year.

If you don’t pick up your box for three months in a row, you will receive a letter from Care and Share Food Bank notifying you of your potential removal from the program. If you receive a program removal letter, please contact us within 30 days if you would like to remain in the program.

Yes! If you are eligible to receive CSFP, you are automatically eligible to participate in The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP).

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  1. mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
  2. fax: (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email: