Good morning friends of Care and Share!
Tuesday, we held an important event at our warehouse to update the community about the first year of Within Reach, our five-year plan to ensure that all 171,000 of our Southern Colorado neighbors in need have access to food. In case you weren’t able to make it, here are some of the things that we shared:
- We got food to 14,000 more people than we did the year before, which is about a million more meals. Instead of serving 63% of the need, we are now serving 71%!
- We are expanding our Pueblo warehouse to better serve the community and surrounding areas
- We’ve seen tremendous growth in our Cooking Matters nutrition education program, teaching people how to eat nutritiously on a budget
- We’ve expanded our USDA foods programs, providing food to seniors and people in poverty throughout every single Southern Colorado county
- We’re implementing school centered food pantries and school based mobile food pantries to ensure children and their families have food when school meals are not available
- We revamped our Children’s Nutrition Initiative to reach even more children throughout the year
- We’ve implemented time saving software that allows our agencies to order their food online and for us to track retail donations more efficiently
After the event, we invited participants to head to Mitchell High School to see a school-centered Mobile Food Pantry distribution. It was a great afternoon!
To see news coverage of this event, please click below:
Thanks for reading!