Volunteer Opportunities: Give Time - Get Involved!
Each day, hunger is experienced in every community across our state. Well-nourished families create better workers, more engaged voters and active consumers - a foundation for a vibrant community. Ending hunger in southern Colorado depends on the volunteer work of literally thousands of volunteers who know that they can make a difference.
Care and Share classifies volunteers in the following two ways:
Court Appointed Volunteers
- Any volunteer that has been directed by the local or state court system. ALL COURT APPOINTED VOLUNTEERS MUST ATTEND AN ORIENTATION HELD AT 3PM EACH THURSDAY AT THE CARE AND SHARE WAREHOUSE, NO EXCEPTIONS. All court appointed volunteers must be at least 18 years of age. No Saturday volunteering opportunities are made available to court appointed volunteers.
Community Service Volunteers
Community Service volunteers examples are the following:
- Employment First, School Groups, National Honors Society, Boy or Girl Scouts, Church Groups or other organizations as well as individuals and families.
- All volunteers who wish to volunteer with Care and Share must attend an orientation prior to volunteering. This is a safety measure both for the volunteers and the Food Bank. Below are a list of opportunities presented to all volunteers and we will strive to accurately match you with your desired area of interest.
- Orientations for Community Service Volunteers occur on Tuesdays and Thursday at 10 a.m. at Care and Share’s facility. If you are volunteering with a group, only the group leader will need to attend the orientation and will be responsible for disseminating the information to the rest of the group.
- Sorting/Packing: Once food drive food has been brought into our warehouse, it must be inspected to ensure it is safe for consumption and then sorted and packed into appropriate categories for distribution to our member agencies.
- Gardens: Care and Share maintains three community gardens at the Colorado Springs facility. We are always seeking volunteers ages 6 and over to assist with a variety of gardening tasks. No green thumb required!
- Children's Programs: Volunteer to fill backpacks with food each week.
- Community Cooking Classes: Assist with community cooking and nutrition classes, usually in the evenings.
- Warehouse: The warehouse staff is often in need of volunteers to help with day-to-day tasks, such as filling agency orders, helping agency shoppers load product into their vehicles, helping bring in food drive donations and more. This position may involve heavy lifting.
- Events and Promotions: Care and Share partners with different community organizations and has a visible presence at many community events. Interested Volunteers might staff the Care and Share booth, hand out literature and talk to the general public about Care and Share’s role in addressing the hunger issues we face here in Colorado.
- Data Entry/Clerical: Volunteers in this position would assist with data entry and various administrative duties, including filing, typing, folding and stuffing envelopes, organizing historical files and other tasks as they arise. Volunteers in this position must be able to work for several hours at a time during Care and Share office hours (M-F, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
- Community Service: Care and Share does confirm community service hours for schools, scholarships and the court system. Please be sure to let the volunteer coordinator during your orientation that you are fulfilling community service hours.
-Saturday Volunteers: We welcome individuals and families to volunteer with us on Saturdays. Please click the link below to sign up. Please remember, all volunteers must attend an orientation prior to volunteering.
To become a Care and Share volunteer, please call Isaac Ring, Volunteer Program Manager, at 719-434-5724 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org