SNAP - Formerly known as Food Stamps
Donate Now

SNAP – Formerly known as Food Stamps

What is SNAP?

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (or SNAP), is a monthly allocation of dollars for individuals and families who need help getting enough food. Each month, your food credit is loaded onto a debit card, which allows you to buy nutritious food from grocery stores and other food retailers.  If you are struggling to make ends meet, SNAP can help you put food on the table and in the cupboard if you meet the eligibility requirements.  SNAP is federally funded by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Department of Human Services manages and directs the program in Colorado.

Even if you are also receiving assistance from food pantries and soup kitchens, you may still apply for SNAP.  This benefit is available for people of all ages.

SNAP logo png

Who can I contact for more information?

We are here to help you get the food you need.  If you don’t see the information you need, please contact Jo Stinchcomb at 719-418-4305 or


Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How do I get my monthly SNAP allocation?

Once you have qualified for SNAP, you will receive an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) Card that looks and works like a bank ATM card. When you go through the checkout line at a supermarket, you swipe the EBT card through the payment machine at the checkout stand. Then you enter a four digit PIN code. The cost of the food is subtracted from your SNAP account automatically - just like a bankcard.  SNAP EBT cards are accepted at most grocery stores and supermarkets. It is fast, simple and discreet. 

Q. What foods can I expect to receive with SNAP?

SNAP benefits will help to stretch your food dollar! You can purchase food items such as fresh fruits, vegetables, dairy products, meats, fish, chicken, and cereals. You cannot use your SNAP EBT card to buy soap, toothpaste, toilet paper, tobacco or anything else that is not food.

For a full list of foods you can buy with your SNAP EBT card, click here.  

Q. How do I know if I qualify for SNAP?

Click HERE to view the current SNAP income eligibility guidelines for Colorado.

Q. Where can I get help applying for SNAP?

Click here for a list of our current outreach locations. You can also call 719-434-5723 or 719-418-4305 to complete a SNAP application over the phone with our SNAP staff.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.