Share Our Strength’s Cooking Matters
Cooking what matters.
Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters™ courses include six weekly, two-hour lessons to help families with limited resources make healthy snacks and meals using foods that are commonly available in stores and food pantries.
Our Cooking Matters Coordinators, along with specialized volunteers, provides hands-on training to low-income individuals at no cost! Classes are available for:
- Adults (special addendums are available for those with Diabetes)
- Families with children ages 6 to 12
- Childcare Professionals
- Cooking Matters for Parents
Cooking Matters helps solve the dual problem of food insecurity and obesity.
If you are interested in hosting a Cooking Matters course, answer these quick questions. If the answer to all of them is yes, then you are in!
- Do you serve low-income clients?
- Do you have a way to demonstrate that your clients are low-income (are they participating in the free and reduced rate lunch program, Medicaid recipients, enrolled in SNAP, or beneficiaries of any other programs that assist low-income individuals)?
- Do you have a space large enough to accompany about 20 people?
- Do you have a kitchen (preferred) or at a minimum a sink with hot running water?
- Do you have tables and chairs for participants?
- Do you have the ability to recruit up to 17 participants, or 12 families for family classes, and no less than 10 that commit to at least four of the six classes?
- Do you agree that the participants will not be charged for the class in any way?
- Do you have one person that agrees to be the committed site contact that will work with our Cooking Matters Coordinator throughout the course?
- Will your site contact agree to call the participants each week to remind them of class?
If you are ready to make this amazing program available to your clients, please contact our staff:
- Brianna Victor, Cooking Matters Program Manager, email@example.com, 719.528.1247 ext. 4606 or
- Jessica McConnell, Coordinator for El Paso and Fremont Counties, firstname.lastname@example.org, 719-528-1247 ext. 4608
- Peter Medina, Coordinator for Pueblo County, email@example.com, 719-296-6995 ext. 4202
If you have culinary or nutrition expertise, including enjoying assisting in the kitchen or shopping for groceries, and would like to volunteer please reach out to one of our staff members listed above.
Ranea, Colorado Springs, CO
Before Cooking Matters, Ranea wasn’t eating enough nutritious food. She would skip breakfast, be really tired in class and wouldn’t pay attention.Learn More About Ranea »
“Thank you for providing a place to learn more than a cooking class. The way you teach shows us more than how to create a good meal. I haven’t experienced this style of class ever. It’s okay to make mistakes [because] you show ways to fix and remedy just about any blunder. For me this class has given me hope to start over again! You have made this class pleasant and fun, I hope and look forward to becoming a better cook and dad for my family…I now want to live with an open positive heart. Before I was so closed down I had given up. Now I see there are so many good people to live for. ”- Cooking Matters Participant