Healthy Kids Club
Healthy Kids Club (HKC)
Care and Share partners with afterschool programs to provide nutritious snacks for at-risk children. There are currently 3 sites in Pueblo. For more information about Healthy Kids Clubs, please contact Jennifer Mariano, Programs Director at 719-434-4676 or Jennifer@careandshare.org
How can I become a Healthy Kids Club Site?
• Be an after-school program managed by a 501c3 organization or after-school program that offers children
• Be located in an area where the nearest school has at least 50% of their students qualifying for free or reduced
• Not have participation fees that would make the site inaccessible to low income children.
• Have an average daily attendance of no less than 10 children.
• Be able to receive deliveries between 8am and 3pm.
• Have at least one certified food handler on staff.
• Ensure site is safe and secure.
• Provide documentation of an annual health inspection.
• Have a contact person responsible for communicating with and submitting required reports to Care and Share
• Attend annual Healthy Kids Club training.
• Be available for site visits conducted during meal times by Care and Share staff.
What is Care and Share’s Responsibility?
• Provide nutritious snacks for the site in a safe, sanitary manner at no charge.
• Train site staff to manage the snack/meal program in compliance with state requirements
• Process the bulk of the paperwork required by the program to ensure the sites do not have to pay for the meals provided.
• Work with the site to evaluate the impact of the program.
• Conduct a minimum of 3 unannounced site inspections to ensure site is handling food safely.